WhatsApp message templates are specific message formats that businesses use to send out notifications or customer care messages to people that have opted in to notifications. Messages can include appointment reminders, shipping information, issue resolution or payment updates.
When you create a message template or edit one to add a new language, you can format the texts inside your messages and preview your edits in the Preview section.
Note: You can’t do formatting check in the Preview section. It’s possible that your template will be rejected due to formatting concerns such as excessive line breaks.
Before you begin
- Sign up for Business Manager.
- Create a WhatsApp Business Platform account.
- You'll need a developer to implement the message templates into WhatsApp Business Platform after completing the following steps.
Create message templates
To create message templates for your WhatsApp business account:
- Go to Business Manager and select your business.
- Click WhatsApp Manager.
- Click Message Templates.
- If you have multiple WhatsApp business accounts, use the drop down menu to select the account where you want to create a message template.
- Click Create Message Template.
- Choose your category, name and languages:
- Category: Choose which type of template you'd like to create. You can hover over the template types to view details for each template.
- Name: Enter name of the template in lowercase letters, numbers, and underscores only.
- Language: Choose which languages your message template will include. You can delete or add more languages in the next step.
- Click Continue.
- Add your content:
- Add Sample: You can add an optional content example for your template by clicking the Add Sample button. This helps us during the review and approval process, so we can understand what kind of message you plan to send. Make sure these are examples and do not include any actual user or customer information.
- Header: Use text or media for an optional header.
- Body: Add the content of your message. You can edit text formats, add emojis or include variables. These allow a developer to add unique information such as specific names, locations or tracking numbers when inputting the templates into WhatsApp Business Platform.
- Footer: Add a short line at the bottom of your message.
- Buttons: Add a Call To Action or Quick Reply button to let your customers quickly respond to your message or take an action:
- Call to Action: Create up to 2 buttons that let your customers take action. The options include Call Phone Number and Visit Website. This lets you add a phone number or website URL to your message. If you choose Visit Website, you can choose from a Static (fixed) website URL or a Dynamic website URL, which creates a personalized link for the customer to view their specific information on your website by adding a variable at the end of the link.
- Quick Reply: Create up to 3 buttons that let your customers respond to your message.
- When completed, click Submit.
Your template will now be sent for review. The status of your template is viewable under Message Templates. After your message has been approved, you can work with your developer to input your message templates into WhatsApp Business Platform account by referring to the Sending Message Templates Developer Document.